HomeAboutRuby LaneHouse TourFeatured

Friday, March 1, 2013

Love Me Some Farm Tables: My Dining Room

 

IMG_0124

I received my latest issue of Veranda magazine a couple days ago.  Did anyone notice their “World Of…” series HERE?  To my delight, it was about farm tables.

I love this photo of the dining room below.  The white caned chairs and mega crystal chandy sure dress up this rustic trestle table.  And the silver cake domes, oh my!

 

According to Veranda, introducing a farm table to a room immediately makes it friendlier and cozier.  And if that wasn’t enough, they go on to say that it’s the most adaptable piece of furniture whereas cuts, nicks, bangs, and scratches only make the table look better.

I couldn’t agree more.

Here is my dining room with my French farm trestle table.

IMG_0117

I traded in my formal mahogany Chippendale ball and claw foot table a couple years ago for this rustic walnut beauty.

IMG_0102

So much of the French Country lifestyle revolves around the table.  Most farm tables are either trestle style with their thick plateau tabletop and graceful trestle legs with a beveled center stretcher or the ever popular version having  four legs and commonly a planked breadboard top usually with drawers at either end for cutlery.  Both types of these tables were typically made of hardwoods such as walnut and oak to withstand many family celebrations.  (There’s your table lesson for today…sorry, it’s the teacher in me!)

IMG_4398

I paired the table with a set of  French mutton-bone (lamb’s leg) chairs recovered in an off-white cotton/linen blend.  I think the blend wears better in upholstery fabric.

IMG_0125

 

The new paint color on the wall is SW Realist Beige but it looks more like a greige.

IMG_0109

I love the pop of yellow and a slight blue-teal color in the modern pear painting.

IMG_0098

I mixed metal finishes because I already had the natural brass chandy and scones and I wanted to incorporate the silver-leaf Louis Philippe mirror and tall nickel and limed-oak hurricanes.  I think it works.

IMG_0101

The inlaid floor band around the perimeter of the room came from Kentucky floors….which is in Indiana.  Go figure.

IMG_0118

 

IMG_0122

This is another room where you don’t see any fabric window treatments just like the post on my sunroom HERE.  I took the large custom topper down last fall and am being patient on deciding what I want.

Back to the farm tables.  Veranda had some good examples of new tables and where to buy them , but there’s nothing like an authentic French or European farm table.

IMG_0097

I’m considering adding a sisal rug.  What do you think?

Don’t forget about the Blogger’s Brocanting Tour September 19-25, 2013.  There’s a couple more spots left and an early bird discount before March 15.  I’m sure we’ll see lots of French farm tables in the flea markets of Paris & Normandy.

CLICK HERE FOR BROCHURE

Blessings,

Kim

8 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I would love a big old farm table. If I were to find one in France I still probably couldn't afford it.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Your room and table - wowza.

I think a sisal rug would be awesome too.

Sarah said...

Kim, I long for enough space to have just such a table. I love the look and style of these tables and have fond memories of shopping the Paris flea with a friend when she found her French farm table. '-)

Dio Home Improvements said...

Your dining room is Gorgeous! I love everything about it, the wall color, the moldings, the inlay in the floor, the table and chairs, it's all stunning!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Love your dining room Kim!...While looking for a new dining room set years ago...i was trying to meld the "traditional" with the farmhouse look...so I chose a table with a plank wood top, but has Queen Anne legs (from Ethan Allen)..talk about a mix of styles..your farm trestle is just gorgeous and your floors are exquisite...love the inlaid floor around the room...!
Sooo looking forward to France!! :)

chateau chic said...

Farm tables have been a favorite of mine for a long time. I love their rustic charm. Your dining room is beautiful, Kim!
Mary Alice

Pendra said...

Kim your home is just lovely, room after room the longer I am on your site is just amazing! I adore your gorgeous farm table and the beautiful inlaid wood floor. I love the looks of a rug under tables, and it always is a good idea for protecting wood floors, but I don't know if I could cover up that beautiful floor! Thanks for sharing another of your beautiful rooms in your home!
Hugs,
Pendra

Unknown said...

I feel very happy to see the luxurious farm tables and all credits are going to kimberlyhites by which we are able to write a comment.

Farm Table

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...