HomeAboutRuby LaneHouse TourFeatured

Monday, April 1, 2013

Inspired By Typography And Its Uses In Decor

The romance of old letters and written ephemera captivates my heart and whisks me away to another time, another place.


1-Typography Collage


Vintage signs and letters offer textural interest to rooms and objects within them.  I’m always drawn to the written word thinking about how many eyes have been influenced by looking at them.


This original French advertising poster reframed in a sleek modern black frame puts a smile on my face every time I glance at it on the wall in my office when I’m writing blog posts. What a charming depiction of “les hommes” by Fernel  reading "Buy Good Coffeepot chicory; house of Henri Facq, [departement du] Nord." 1898.  


IMG_1007



I fell in love with the metal "Supreme Pernot, for the Best of desserts" turn of the last century sign for this French biscuit company.  It is a wonderful French accessory for the kitchen.



IMG_0054



I would never tire of looking at all the old signage above French establishments which I found to be visually stimulating with a certain allure of romance.


IMG_0682


And who could pass up an invitation to a “Brocante”?  Not this girl.   I currently have this large vintage metal sign listed in my Etsy and Ruby Lane shops.


IMG_2844


And who could resist  succumbing to following the arrow.  Not I.  And I must say it was well worth the trip inside filled with all sorts of French treasures that one can only dream about!


IMG_0826


An old faded paper with lots of French signatures conjures up thoughts of the lives they must have lived.  Who were the people that penned their names?  Penmanship is becoming a lost art form.  Oh the scrolls and curly ques used!


IMG_1060


These calendar signs were the first things I was attracted too at the Marche aux Puces in Paris.  They just seemed to call to me.  Were they used in a Parisian hotel or bistro?  Maybe Madame or Monsieur looked to these to keep track of important dates.


IMG_0581


Even the simplest of French household fixtures are so inclined to make you take notice.  A faucet in our Paris apartment sports natural brass  and porcelain knobs in the bath.  Margot is a centuries old company in France started in 1910 by a young Paris engineer and is still in business today.  I think I will take two for my bath,  s’il vous plait!


IMG_4330


The power of the written word can enable us to create by a mere suggestion.  French zinc letters do just the trick!


IMG_1019


For “HERE” in a corner of my study is where I conjure up thoughts and fuel the passions of my 
imagination offering a respite from a busy day.


IMG_1041


Remembering, as luck would have it, finding a stash of vintage porcelain enamel over metal letters on an antiquing outing only to discover they were not for sale…display only.  But my husband, a.k.a. antiquing buddy and knight in shining armor, tracked down the dealer and offered a fair price to acquire them for me because he knew I had been looking for such treasures.


IMG_1054


They have such a soft buttery-yellow ivory color and add charm and dimension inside an antique frame in my daughter’s room and hanging on an armoire in my son’s.


IMG_1049


I look for interesting typography everywhere.  The Austin cardboard piece happens to be the name of my son and came from a packing carton that thankfully I noticed before I threw it away.


IMG_1006


What about you?  Are you fascinated with words, letters, numbers, or fancy monograms?
I have one letter left of my stash that I have added to my Etsy and Ruby Lane shops.  


IMG_1065

What’s your letter?

Blessings,
Kim

Linking up to:

5 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love letters, numbers, signs and all kinds of typography, too, Kim. I just added some of each to a gallery wall I finished up in our small entry/foyer {post to come soon}. Love that French Patisserie sign. I'd love something like that to put in my kitchen. The calendar months and days are very neat also.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I'm mad for typography. Love it all.

Maureen Wyatt said...

I sure am! I have to stop myself from plastering it all over everything in my house. Never met a vintage sign I didn't like!

Bliss said...

I have always loved letters, ad's, anything graphic in that way. Last year I realized I had none, and even made the statement I probably never will because I don't know how to make any. A year later those words are history.

Bliss

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Love the letters, love the signs....they make such interesting items for decorating...I love yours!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...