HomeAboutRuby LaneHouse TourFeatured

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Saying Goodbye To The Victorian Furniture

First let me say that my heart is heavy for the victims of the tragedy in Boston.  My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected and whose lives will be forever changed.  The stories of bravery, professionalism, and heroism confirm America’s spirit in the midst of horrific trials.  I’m proud to be an American.

I must admit that blogging about décor seems so trivial in times such as this, but I know we must move forward and not be intimidated by evil forces that would try and keep us down.

Okay…let me dry my eyes…again.  I’ve just been so overwhelmed and emotional over this (as so many of you are I’m sure)…and on the heels of Sandy Hook…I want to get mad, but I know I must focus on LOVE.

 

Let’s try again…

As I'm cleaning out my house, I'm also completely cleaning out my previous style.  I'll admit it....several years ago I collected Victorian furniture.  Don't get me wrong....I'm not disparaging it now...it's just that it has a VERY distinctive look that's hard to mix with other furnishings.

There's no mistaking this is Eastlake Victorian.

IMG_0619

So I decided it had to go.  I have sold it.  Such a nice example of this period…solid walnut, marble, ebony handles, attention to detail, ahhhh…the quality and craftsmanship are evident.

 

IMG_0620

 

The nightstand has been sold, too.  It was not a matching set.  I used to attend many antique auctions and acquired many such pieces at these events.

IMG_0626

Authentic Victorian is one style that is soooo hard to blend with modern interiors unless you give them a fresh coat of paint.  They just typically look out of place to me.  And being that these are extremely fine examples, there's no way I was going to paint them. 

They shouldn't be painted anyway to save the integrity of the period.  I think such pieces actually have historical significance.  We need them to study furniture history.  So I have passed them along to someone who will appreciate them as I have in the past.  Of course,  these look best when placed in those grand dames we call Victorian homes that recall the grandeur of times past.

But it's time to move on....now what am I going to put in the guest bedroom?  Yippee, something else to look for in France!  (Shhhh….don’t tell my husband….I really had planned on replacing the Victorian pieces….timing is everything you know)

*****************

On another note, I snagged a great memo board at Hobby Lobby last week when I was in Lexington.

IMG_1202

I am using it in my upstairs den office.

IMG_1209

I don’t think it will pass for subtle Frenchiness or Eiffel incognito!

IMG_1204

I like the whimsy and it reminds me of why I love Paris!

I finally updated “My Home Tour” tab under my blog header.  If you get a chance you might want to take a look!

Blessings,

Kim

4 comments:

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Kim, what beautiful furniture! I can definitely see those pieces in a stately, Victorian home. I know what it's like to see your style evolve and the need for change. Love that cute board, too! You're going to have lots of shopping fun in Paris!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kim, those pieces are gorgeous but I can see that they will no longer fit in with the decor you are so in love with now....glad you were able to sell those so you can shop for some great pieces in France!...Great find at HomeGoods...looks great in your office!!...

Cynthia said...

Great HG finds...that is my favorite store. Love those pieces though, but I get totally understand your point.

Cynthia

Curtains in My Tree said...

I completely understand changing styles of furniture, I did that a few years ago , one man bought all my oak
antique furniture that I use to die for , its all gone
Your replacement furniture will be to die for I am sure of it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...