HomeAboutRuby LaneHouse TourFeatured

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Planting Bulbs For The Holidays (It’s All About Timing)

I used to forget to plant indoor bulbs early enough to bloom the week or two before Christmas.  But for the last few years I usually plant them the first week of November and I’ve had pretty good luck with them blooming when they are supposed to!

Here are the amaryllis in the sunroom.  I love all the fall colors outside the window.

IMG_8455

They won’t stay here.  They’ll probably end up on one of the fireplace mantles.  I just start them here so they’ll grow well.  Looks like Fall and Winter décor mixed with the trees in the background.

IMG_8454

I know you’re wondering why they are already this tall.  I purchased the bulbs at Lowe’s last weekend and when I took them out of the box they were already growing!!!  I’ve never had that happen before.  I hope they don’t bloom too early.  I’ve also been to Lowe’s twice and they still don’t have paperwhite bulbs yet.  I always plant paperwhites.  I love their fragrance.

IMG_8461

I just planted them in a few rocks and water.  It’s less messy for me than the soil. I covered the bottom of the glass vessels with wide burlap ribbon and layered red satin ribbon on top.

Notice the vintage toile?  I love this hunting scene.  I was just playing around with it last weekend to see if I want to use it in my holiday décor.

IMG_8460

I’m thinking simple red and white for the holidays…with lots of red toile!

IMG_8459

On another note, here is my first holiday magazine purchase this year.  I couldn’t resist at the grocery check-out line. I’m getting in the holiday spirit early.

IMG_8447

I love both these covers and I especially love this wreath with the roses.

IMG_8450

I think Murphy is getting into the holiday spirit, too.  Or maybe he’s just tired of me taking so many photos.

IMG_8463

I KNOW it’s too early for Christmas, so I promise next week I’ll be posting about what I’m doing for Thanksgiving décor!

Blessings,

Kim

8 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Those are going to be beautiful just in time for the Holidays, Kim. I have a Christmas cactus that a friend gave me that is lush and full and starting to bloom. It is the first one I have ever had. It's gorgeous!

Love those magazines, too. I can hardly believe we are already sliding towards Christmas.

I have Thanksgiving here this year so I am not decorating for Christmas until the day after.

Hope you are having a great day- xo Diana

Deserae said...

I was just thinking today about buying some Paper whites and wondering if anyone had them yet. Last year our Lowes never got any in but I was lucky enough to find some at a local nursery.
~Des

Anonymous said...

I just looked at some bulbs for sale last week. This post is inspiring! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Oh and your furbaby in that chair is GORGEOUS!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I need to get some of those started, too.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I see everyone starting their paperwhites..I guess I need to do that soon…I never tire of seeing that gorgeous view you have…and love that toile!!!
Have a great weekend!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I am going to do the same and put them in water with rocks. Do you then transfer them to soil later or no? Love the toile, so pretty and your VIEW!

Gypsy Heart said...

Beautiful photos! The flowers look quite strong...and I love paperwhites too. The fragrance is so lovely!

Murphy is adorable ~ :) I just can't get into the Christmas spirit this year. When I'm out and about, it feels better but at home, I just don't care. Thanks for sharing your treasures!

xo
Pat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...